There are many ways to take your medicine. I prefer to do it at the dinner table.
A LITTLE SPICE IS ALWAYS NICE.
This rice gets its yellow hue from turmeric. If you use a white rice variety, the turmeric will make it vividly yellow. Turmeric is an incredibly healthy spice to add to your diet as it’s anti-inflammatory and a natural anti-histamine. Ginger and turmeric are actually related, so both ingredients boast these benefits. This recipe is very allergy-friendly — it’s vegan, gluten free, nut free, soy free and delicious.
- 1 cup brown basmati rice (or any rice you have will do)
- 1.25-1.4 cups water OR broth
- A big dash of ground turmeric (0.25-0.5 tsp depending on how much you like it)
- 0.5-1- tsp garlic powder
- A few cranks of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 0.5-1 small onion, peeled and chopped small
- 2-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped into a few pieces
- OPTIONAL: 1 tsp+ olive oil OR coconut oil (or any oil that would pair with these flavours and can be heated)
- OPTIONAL: Tiny handful of fresh cilantro or fresh mint (optional garnish)
- In a mesh strainer, rinse the rice well in cold water and drain to remove excess starch.
- Add to a small pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cover the rice with the water.
- Add in all spices and the onion.
- Bring to a boil without the lid on.
- Once boiling, cover with the tight-fitting lid and keep heat high for one minute.
- After one minute, reduce heat to low and allow to cook (undisturbed) for 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat (with lid still on!) and allow to cool for 10 minutes, covered.
- Once cooled, fluff with a fork and stir in the olive oil and a tiny pinch of salt if desired.
- Serve warm with a little chopped fresh cilantro or mint on top.